The Beach is a novel about the reflections of Richard, a traveler who is given a map by a man who he knows nothing about about a secret location. Whether it is a hell, heaven or nothing at all, he embarks on a journey to the island with two companions. While the journey is hellish the island seems like an Eden of sorts, although definitely not without many troubles that causes a tumultuous, if not damning, end for most of the travelers.
Although I don't want to read this book again and it will have little impact on my life significantly, I think it would greatly satisfy its target audience - or target audiences. Who are its target audiences? Based on its Indiana Jones type of adventure plot (although to lower it that level would do it a disservice), abrupt sentences, uncensored vocabulary and the themes and emotions within..."the audience" is a semi-literary guy at least in his teens. I say that the reader must have reached a certain level of maturity and depth because that's what singles this novel out - its depth. Of course, I'm sure there are many others who would enjoy it; it was just not particularly my taste.
From the taboos/urgency/spirit of hidden desire that accompany being in love with a friend's girlfriend to new levels and types of terror, confusion, and desperation this novel deals with a range of complex emotions - some of them more common than others. It is extremely modern in its writing style, vocabulary and content. The abrupt and choppy writing style is consistent with the speed, spontaneity and constant sense of urgency today whereas I have always thought long sentences and elaborate descriptions of Shakespeare to reflect a lifestyle of more languor and leisure. Therefore, sometimes it seemed to have rhythm and flow but when those were lacking it was hard to get through. I must admit the sudden endings and scene changes were bothersome although the speed and straightforward language fit with the tone and plot of the story. The cultural references and metaphors, etc. made it very relatable. Also, every component of the story, from the fact that he smoked to minute and random conversations, seemed to serve a purpose at one point (as they should in probably every piece of great writing should).
The thing that bothered me most throughout the novel was actually the unlikeable personality of the protagonist; he was temperamental, unstable, and unreasonable. Although he performed honorable deeds such as saving individuals and was kind he was just as often insensible. For example, when a fellow islander was deathly ill and in great pain he refused to help him because previous scruples and because he disliked his character.* Perhaps another way to describe him would be to call him "practical" and "a survivor". He killed acquaintances when necessary - in general, he only cared about those he knew well like the girlfriend, Francoise, and others were treated with nonchalance. His character definitely was a little to absorbed by Francoise but she was significant as a fish hook and created interest in the storyline.
The Beach was not a book I loved but the writing was great (disappointing at others), it was absorbing, and I would recommend it to some (because this is definitely a book that has a extremely distinct style/plot type, etc.).
*In reflection, I wonder if Garland portrayed Richard's actions realistically and I am just unable to handle how even a, if not kind, average, person may react selfishly and brutally in certain circumstances...
~~Apologies for the crappy quality of this review! I don't have much time and just cranked everything out.~~
No comments:
Post a Comment